|Harmony House Potatoes
|14g, 2 tbsp
|Harmony House Onions
|5g, 1 tbsp
|Harmony House Black Beans
|14g, 2 tbsp
|Harmony House Corn
|7g, 1 tbsp
|Harmony House Tomatoes
|3.5g, 1 tbsp
Everything goes into one package.
It’s often said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’m inclined to think that it’s doubly true when you’re out backpacking or otherwise expending a lot of energy putting in miles on the trail.
Most backpacking breakfasts consist of some sort of goopy slop, à la oatmeal, which we’re 100% guilty of making and recommending. Heck, we’ve got at least two oatmeal recipes on this site and even a cream of wheat one. Slop on slop on slop. Goodbye texture.
But there’s a backpacking breakfast recipe that requires actual mastication, and it’s glorious, and also vegetarian. Hail the almighty breakfast burrito!
We’re using ingredients from a Harmony House Backpacking Kit which pretty much makes this a meal that can be assembled in under a minute, plus a trip to the grocery store for some tortillas. The amount of seasoning we’re recommending yields a pretty savory flavorful filling, but you can get little packets of Tabasco or hot sauce to kick things up a notch if you’d like.
The only downside is that you’ll have to watch the pot pretty carefully during the cooking process. Make yourself a cup of coffee first!
To avoid draining out too much water, and subsequently all the flavors, not a lot of water is added. So you’ve got to watch the pot to make sure all the water doesn’t boil off, and add more if it’s needed. If you’ve got too much water at the end, it’s fine to drain it out.
- Put all ingredients into pot (except the tortilla).
- Add enough water to barely cover all ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- As potatoes and other vegetables start to rehydrate a lot of water will be absorbed.
- Add more water as needed to avoid scorching pot.
- Corn will take the longest too cook, test those for doneness. Should take anywhere from 10-15 minutes.
- Drain excess water and serve on flour tortilla.